Cauliflower is a very popular vegetable in India. Maybe because the florets look like little white trees. And everyone knows how much Indians love to dance around trees, especially when it’s raining and romance is in the air. Spend a week at your closest Indian friend’s house, and guaranteed, you’ll have gobhi ki sabzi. Until then, you can make it following the recipe below (unless you’re Indian-then you better learn to make it for when your friend visits).
2 tbsp ghee or oil
1 inch piece of ginger, grated or chopped into extremely small pieces
½ medium cauliflower, chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 golden potatoes, chopped into medium pieces
1 green chili diced (optional) Spices
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp chili powder (optional)
½ tsp amchoor/mango powder (optional)
¼ tsp salt
½ cup water
1. In a large frying pan, heat ghee on medium, add cumin seeds.
2. As soon as seeds start to pop, add ginger and lightly brown.
3. Next, mix in coriander, turmeric and chili powder.
4. Immediately add cauliflower, potatoes, salt, chilies, water and stir.
5. Cover and cook over a moderate heat for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes to ensure even cooking.
6. Add amchoor/mango powder and stir.
7. Test to make sure vegetables are cooked, uncover and cook to evaporate additional water
8. Serve and enjoy!