Running out of ideas on how to use that bag of spinach? You’ve tried it in a salad. You’ve tried it in a salad with cranberries. You’ve tried in a salad with cranberries AND blue cheese. But now you’re tapped out of ideas. How about throwing it in with some potatoes and spices? Trust me, you’ll be glad you ventured out of your comfort zone to make some Palak Aloo. You can serve this with any meal, including an innovative breakfast addition. A purist? No problem…just buy a bunch of fresh spinach and you can follow this recipe as well. And for the record, I never did understand why American kids hated spinach. But now I know. It’s cause their moms didn’t make it with masala!
1.5-2 bags of baby spinach or 1 bunch whole spinach (washed and chopped)
2 golden potatoes chopped
2-3 tbsp oil (note, I used less oil so my potatoes were sticky, but it still works)
2-3 cloves of garlic diced
1 thai green chili diced
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1. Add oil to a pan heated on medium-high.
2. Saute potatoes, stir every minute until cooked half way.
3. Add garlic and chilies and saute for 45 seconds.
4. Add dry spices (you can add extra oil in the center and cook cumin seeds for a few seconds before adding other spices).
5. Mix potatoes and spices.
6. Add spinach, mix, cover and let cook for 3-5 minutes.
7. Mix, cover and cook for additional 3-5 minutes.
8. Cook for additional time if desired, or serve with roti (flat bread) and enjoy!